Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND)

How does the school identify long term "barriers to learning"? What should I do if I feel my child has SEND?
All children's progress is carefully monitored throughout the school year and interventions and support are put in place as a response to any concerns. If we feel a child is consistently not making expected progress based on observations and assessment data, we will arrange a meeting between the class teacher, Inclusion team and parents. Following this discussion the child may be recorded as needing either: 
- Differentiated curriculum support within the class  and access to approrpiately selected interventions
- Additional support through interventions and specilaist support from outside agencies.
If a child  requires support beyond this a request may be made to the LEA for an Educational and Health Care Plan (EHC).
What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the school?
Within Shirley School we have a wide range of skills and expertise. These include:
  • A trained Every Child a Reader (ECAR) teacher
  • Specialist Speech and Language Teaching Assistant
  • Specialist Maths Teaching Assistant
The Local Authority offers a range of specialist support and outreach services including:
  • Educational Psychologists
  • Specialist Teachers
  • Physiotherapists
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Speech and Language Therapists

If the school feels that the involvment of another agency will help them to meet a child's needs, this will be discussed with parents and consent sought.
What support is there for my child's overall wellbeing?
Children's wellbeing is of utmost importance at Shirley School and we work hard to ensure we support children in every aspect of their development. We follow the SEAL material throughout the school and each class has regular Circle time where children have the opportunity to discuss  their feelings and share concerns in a safe environment. 
Specialist Teaching Assistants  support children with additional needs through a variety of  targetted groups.
In addition, Blue Smile supports children through play and art therapy.  
For more info see Behaviour Policy, in the Policies section.
How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school or transfer to a new year group or school?
There are a range of transition arrangements in place for all children  and additional ones are implemented depending on individual need. When starting the school in Preschool or Reception, a home or placement setting will be arranged followed by a chance for you and your child to visit the school in an informal way. If appropriate, additional visits can be arranged and resources such as photobooks or holiday packs provided.
When transferring accross year groups, chidlren will meet their new teachers (and teaching assistant if applicable). Transition work which could include "All about me" booklets, photo books and holiday packs  will  implemeted according to the child's needs.
When the time comes to transfer to secondary school, our Inclusion team will meet with SENCOs to share information and effective startegies that have been used to support your child. Visits will also be arranged  for individuals or groups. 
Who should I contact if I have concerns about my child's progress or wellbeing?
Please initially refer all concerns to your child's class teacher who can then arrange a meeting to discuss appropriate strategies for support.
Key Contacts: